WOF For Your Investment Property is Coming
Posted by Paddy Thornton on
Yes, we are all familiar with a WOF for the car – but for your rental investment?
The signs are clearly there that some sort of WOF for landlords is coming, and it’s never too soon to look at what this will mean for you.
Changes in tenancy laws on 1 July, 2016 meant the following:
- All rental properties are required to have smoke alarms.
- All new tenancy agreements need to include a statement of the extent and safety of insulation in the property, and any replacement or installation of insulation in a rental property must meet the required standards.
August 2017 — the Wellington City Council announces it will pursue a voluntary rental WOF. It intends to make it compulsory in three years.
So, what would a WOF cover?
Well, the best we have is what the Wellington City Council has introduced, and if you are a landlord it would be good to familiarise yourself with the 29 items on the criteria. This includes insulation, heating, ventilation and structural stability.
The inspector will be checking your investment/rental in the following areas:
- All walls, ceiling, linings and floors are intact.
- All surfaces are clear of mould.
- In a kitchen, adequate food preparation and storage.
- In a laundry, secure storage with a child safe lock.
- The lounge will require fixed heating, in the future, it is more than likely that a heat pump will the minimum standard.
- Portable heating will not be acceptable, unless it’s a unit/apartment less than 50sqm.
- All windows will require security latches.
- The front entrance needs to be clearly labelled, identifiable with good lighting on the front and rear.
- Smoke alarms/insulation standards are already a requirement.
Overall, your investment must be in reasonable condition, with good spouting/storm water which does not leak, and no cracks or holes.
Paths, decks and surfaces are to be free from moss and non-slip.
This is just a quick overview of the changes coming, and it’s never too late to start ensuring your rental property/investment will meet the standards when they are enforced.
Remember, it's also protecting your investment as much as it is maintaining its quality thus attracting quality tenants.
Quinovic Viaduct Property Management is only to happy to work with landlords to put into place plans to ensure your investment is looked after and by doing so, retaining its value for both owners and tenants.